Got a great idea for a new product? Congratulations!! You’re about to embark on a journey of a lifetime! Getting a new product to market is a whole new learning experience. It’s exciting, challenging, frustrating, confusing, potentially rewarding, and, unfortunately, filled with rip-off artists.
Before you start calling 800 numbers and responding to ads in the back of magazines, read on. Inventors Digest provides no marketing services for inventors so we’re here just to inform you. Follow these tips and your journey will be much safer!
* When you call a company or individual who may have services to help you get your product on the market, ask the following questions:
1.) How long have you been in business?
2.) Who are the officers of the corporation and what are their qualifications?
3.) Please give me a list of clients with whom you’ve done business. THIS IS THE MOST IMPORTANT QUESTION! It they say, the client list is confidential, RUN! The inventions are confidential, NOT the clients! If they say they’ll arrange a teleconference between you and a satisfied client, RUN! You should be able to contact their clients and they should give you a BIG list, not just one person!
* Don’t be pressured by pushy salespeople! There’s no hurry for you and their only hurry is to get YOUR check in their bank account!
* Don’t bother calling the Better Business Bureau for a reference.
* Call the Attorney General’s Office in your state and the state in which the company is headquartered.
* Join an inventor’s organzation to network with others who have gone before you!
* Read. Read. Read. Learn all you can about the process of new product development so you can make informed decisions!
* Contact the United Inventor’s Association of the USA to see if a company you’re considering is on their Hit List!
Good luck with your concept and we wish you a safe and prosperous journey!